Here are some easy steps on how to get started renaming files in Advanced Renamer.
Tip: You can also drag and drop files or folders from Windows Explorer to Advanced Renamer.
- First you need to add some files to the list. Click the Add menu item above the file list.
- In the drop down list pick Files and a dialog for opening files appear.
- Select the files you would like to rename and click Open.
Setup renaming methods
- Now you need to setup how the files should be renamed. This is done in the left part of the program where it says Renaming method list.
- Click the button Add method and select a method in the appearing window. We will be using New name method in this example. With the New Name method you can construct a completely new filename based on known information of each individual file.
- In the box called New Name you can write the new name of the file. Type in "MyFile_<Inc Nr:1>.<Ext>" (without the quotes).
- If you look in the column called New Filename you can see the new filename each file will have. As you see <Inc Nr:1> will be replaced with a incrementing number starting from 1 and <Ext> will be replaced with the file extension.
- First verify the new names in the column New Filename. If the column is not visible you can add it by clicking the Customize columns menu button.
- Click the button Start Batch in the top of the window.
- In the new window click Rename.
- Now you will see a progress bar progressing as the files are renamed.
- When it completes you are done and can click OK.
You can also read these examples of how you can setup Advanced Renamer in various scenarios: